Thursday, May 21, 2015

"But without cheese, please."


I expected to learn a lot about myself in London! But I didn't expect one of those things to be discovering a newfound lactose intolerance. Heres the cold, hard truth: I can't eat dairy products anymore.

Look at this beautiful grilled cheese:

bsinthekitchen.com
Can't have it.

Why is this ice cream cone blue? Does that even taste good? Who cares. Can't have it. 



THIS INCREDIBLE PIECE OF ARTICHOKE PIZZA from New York which I did eat, against my better judgement, but do not regret in the slightest:

  

Definitely ate it, but I still SHOULDN'T have it. 

To be fair, I'm being incredibly dramatic! I can eat all of these things, if I'm willing to deal with horrific abdominal pains and (sorry Mom, sorry Lawrence, SORRY EVERYONE) serious burping problems. Among other seriously gross issues... digestion related. Ehem.

I've never, in all 20 years of my life, had this issue before. I used to be able to eat any kind of dairy I wanted! A full block of cheese? Yes! Get in my belly! Cream cheese that overwhelms my bagel so much its hard to tell which is the main component? Absolutely, and I'm looking at you Bagel Hut! Fondue filling my bathtub so I can soak in the cheesey goodness? That sounds expensive and messy, but why not! 

NO LONGER. My cheese and milk days have come to a halt. At first I was convinced it was just bad combinations or over-eating causing the pain and discomfort, but upon researching the issue, I discovered that a sudden intolerance to dairy proteins is fairly common. From what I understand, it happens as a result of your body ceasing to produce the enzyme Lactase, that properly breaks down the lactose in dairy products. So a big shoutout to my body for quitting on the job early - I sure hope you have better things to do in there, body enzymes! 

Either way, my diet has taken a serious turn for the cheese-less. Basically, dairy has gone from my best friend, to my mortal enemy. I am quite sad about it. BUT! There are ways to combat this. First of all, if I really HAVE to have cheese (like when I have to eat a bagel. I refuse to give those up.) I can take a pill with my first bite to supplement those enzymes I don't have. 

But I have also adapted some tricky ways to avoid cheese/dairy all together, without sacrificing the foods I really love and have to have. 

1. Iced Coffee Dilema - Avoiding Soy

Most places carry soy milk, but I hate to load up on it because it's best consumed in moderation, for a multitude of reasons. This problem most commonly arises when I'm looking for a nice, creamy iced coffee. Recently, I found out something amazing - All US locations of Starbucks carry Coconut milk! This is a fab alternative to soy all the time, and it tastes yum because I love coconut as it is. 

2. Lactose Free Products

This is a no brainer, but it's worth saying. Since discovering my intolerance, I've made the switch to lactose free milk, cheese and cream cheese (when I can find it. Ironically, it was highly available in Europe!) This just makes it easier to cook and enjoy classic foods at home. 

3. Vegan Stuff
OBVIOUSLY Vegan food excludes dairy, because its an animal byproduct. When I'm out and I see a vegan meal or snack, I know I can have it without any problem. Since most mainstream places are becoming more and more vegan friendly, its easier to find delicious meals that aren't cheesey. 

4.  Give and Take
I realize I can't always avoid milk - especially in baked goods, where there are nearly always traces of dairy in the recipe. I've learned what I can handle and what is too much. For example, chocolate chip cookies are a double whammie because of the dairy in chocolate. On the other hand, a cherry tart only has milk in the dough, so it's a little easier on my tummy.

So yeah, I'm a little sad I can't gorge on dairy anymore, but it's really not so bad at all! Life goes on as normal. As a parting message, I'd just like to say this - listen to your own body! If you feel like something doesn't sit well or feel right to you you're probably correct. Follow your instincts and adapt accordingly. 

Gotta go eat a cheese-less sandwich. Cya y'all.