Sunday, October 26, 2014

Hey, That Was Fun: Pizza on the Brain


   

PIZZA BRAIN

Philadelphia is hidden treasures. Everywhere you go, I can promise some of the best places to eat, drink, and be merry are otherwise off the map, and made popular by word of mouth/recommendation. So you have to pay attention - when someone says something is stellar, GO.

Which happened this weekend when, at work, Ben suggested that Pizza Brain be our next foodie date. He described it to me as "somewhere we would have gone in the 90's to hang out before a Nirvana concert" and I was sold at 90's. I live for the nostalgia, man.

So anyway, I jumped at the chance to try a recommendation, especially from Ben, who has literal impeccable taste in every area of life. So needless to say we decided to just go that night. No waiting involved - I love it. 

Ben having a car is so wonderful because it makes getting to places that aren't so easy to access on public transportation so much easier (THANK YOU FOR DRIVING, BEN! XOXOXO). So, Ben, Brit Brit, Gemma, Billy and I (all Owl Ambassadors, yippie!) hauled it down to Pizza Brain in Fishtown. 

 

FIRST OF ALL, this place is a self proclaimed Pizza Museum. Basically, the walls are lined with pizza memorabilia from decades past, including really sweet informational plaques that I so enjoyed reading from just while waiting for our pizza to be ready. My dad would have been there for ages - he reads EVERY single piece of signage in a museum no matter what it's about. Am I right, Mom? 

 
Some of the rad, rad history bits. I was loving it.


 We split a pie of their "Jane" pizza - mozzarella, aged provolone, grana padano, fresh basil. I died and went to Pizza Heaven and back. 
It's Ben himself, Keeper of the Pi

clearly not a single filter needed here. (Are you drooling?) 

This picture was taken exactly two minutes after the pizza showed up. HUNGRY OWLS.


The atmosphere was just so rad. I can't even think of of another way to describe it. The eclectic setup of the outside seating mixed with the awesome murals on the walls, the pizza swag everywhere you turned, and obviously the smell of fresh pizza dough just added up to one big Pizza Hug of an experience. 

An outdoor mural, I was LIVING for this. 

These next three pictures I take ZERO credit for, because Ben literally slayed the photography game when he snapped these. Prepare yourself. 





UMMMMMMMM. I'm obsessed with these pictures people. Gemma is not wrong about calling them Temple Publication Worthy. Aren't my pals good looking?

Brit, Ben, Gem, Bill. 

As if we God himself crafted this beautiful establishment, there is a cool as anything ice cream shope attached called Little Baby's.  Here's the long and short of it: it was PHENOMENAL. The flavors are unlike anything you can get anywhere else. Here's some examples: Everything Bagel (yes. as ice cream), Earl Grey Sriracha, Thai Iced Tea, Speculoos (Gingersnap, sorta?), and the fan favorite of our group: Sweet Potato  + Burnt Mashmallow. It was INSANE how accurate these flavors were, while still retaining tastiness. Like I said. Blown away.  





After we ate, we explored Fishtown a bit - a neighborhood I haven't ever been to. Of course, I was obssessed. We stepped into an amazing thrift store which I absolutely have to go back to called Two Percent to Glory. The owner was so kind and her dog made friends with us (Well. With Brit.) I had to snap a picture of sunset.



              


What can I say? Pizza Brain rocked my world. Fishtown was like magic. And my friends made it all the better. Thanks, Philadelphia.

All the best,

Paige