Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Hey, That Was Fun: Revolution Shakespeare's Macbeth

I really like Shakespeare. I don't quite know where this personal taste developed, but it's a not-so-secret love of mine. 

 I do know that once, in 5th grade, I dressed up as Shakespeare for one of those strange elementary school projects where you are required to dress up as someone and do research on them, and then everyone sort of pow-wows around in the classroom pretending to be dead people and you get a smiley face sticker grade on it all. Remember those? I do. 

I definitely used black lipstick to draw on a mustache and it melted off. #Neverforget. Mom, do we have a picture of this? My brain says I hope not, but my funny bone says please find one. I need a good laugh.

 And need I even remind anyone about the 5th grade play? Surely you remember Ms. Graybill's class production of a Midsummer Night's Dream, featuring yours truly as the ugly duckling Helena. I wore a swimsuit underneath of a strange rented costume and I ran around on stage in socks. Those were dark times. Too bad we still have an embarrassing VHS tape of that very production floating around the Knapp house. 

REGARDLESS, I still have a serious soft spot for the Bard. A coworker of mine is currently in a production of Macbeth, so last Friday when they opened I knew I had to go - to support Holly, but also to indulge in my secret love for Old English and tragedy. Plus, this particular fashion was done the way Shakespeare is meant to be - OUTSIDE. It's fall. I will take any excuse to be outside. 

Macbeth is being put on by Revolution Shakespeare, a Philly group of really talented folk - including Holly, our pal! 

So another co-worker and I trekked on down to Hawthorne Park, which is right off of South Street. First of all, look at how darling it was! People laid out a blanket, sat in chairs, brought their kids, brought their dogs, brought beer, and really committed to a night in the park. Love, I tell you. I was in love. 


Grass. I was happy about the grass. 


The stage setup was super neat, and the use of space was so cool - fight scenes in the "isles", etc etc.

The sun set, the lights came on, and the show got started. If you know Macbeth, you'll know it definitely doesn't take place in America, but this version plopped the story down smack dab in the middle of New Orleans - and it was so well done. The costumes complimented the NoLa feel and 3 piece brass band absolutely nailed the music of New Orleans. 


I could talk about a lot of things that I enjoyed about the show, but I think my favorite bit was how well the cast captured the spirit of Shakespeare. Macbeth is not a funny story, but ALL of Shakespeare's stories have some comedy woven within them, and they absolutely smashed it as far as delivery went. If you can deliver a line in Old English and have the whole park picking up on the comedy of it, and get a laugh from everyone, you've done it right. 

And I would be crazy if I didn't mention how much I loved the diversity of the cast. Banquo was a GIRL. And not just a girl playing a male character. Like, the character was a girl. That's what I'm talkin' about people. Applause all around for that creative decision. 

 

Something about the show, hanging out in a beautiful little park right in the heart of Philadelphia with no obligation but to enjoy the show was so, so refreshing. It was the perfect way to spend that Friday evening after what was, in truth, a really long week. 

OH MAN, how did I not mention this yet? A food truck, Cheese E Wagon, was there cooking up what is arguably one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever tasted in my young life. So as if I wasn't already happy, I was suddenly fat and happy with a big ole cheezer in my stomach. 


noooooooooooooooooooom.


The evening was damn near perfect, and I am so happy that I got to be there. Basically, if you're in Philly and not doing anything this weekend, I highly recommend hauling a blanket down to Hawthorne Park and checking it out. It's free. 

IT

IS

FREE.



Bows. 

Big love to Holly and the rest of the cast as they continue their run of Macbeth! 

I've been working on a post for a while, and I think that's coming later this week. Otherwise, that's all for now, pals!

All the best, 

Paige