Monday, September 15, 2014

Put Down Your F***ing Phones.

We all know I am a massive fan of live music. I also love when things are free. Obviously, I can't turn down a chance to see anyone if it's free. Saturday was the final Radio 104.5 Summer Block Party. I'd never been to one, and we happened to score some of the tickets that were released, so my pal Steph & I went for the day. 

It was completely outdoors. It poured for a greater majority of the afternoon. We went to the wrong pier (classic...). But it was a really solid day in the end! I'm glad we went, at least. All in all, five groups played: 

Brick & Mortar - Wolf Gang - Sir Sly - Vance Joy - Grouplove 

Admittedly, I only knew a single Sir Sly song, a few Vance Joy tunes, and a good handful of Grouplove jams. Even better! New music to be discovered! 

In fact, I ended up absolutely jamming to Wolf Gang during their set. Every single tune was catchy and they reminded me why I love live alternative music so much. I'm dropping a video in at the very end of the post of my favorite song from their set, the title track of their EP called Black River. If you're a fan of The 1975 meets Walk the Moon, these are the dudes you need to listen to. Hell, just listen to it anyway. It's synth driven and catchy and brilliant. They were also based out of London, so essentially I was in love as soon as they stepped on stage. Bias? Maybe. Impressed? Definitely. 

Right, but the thing is: I forgot how day lost festival type shows operated until I was at one. And there are just....things. That happen. That shouldn't happen.

the DID I REALLY JUST SEE THAT? list:

  • The boy in front of us when we were actually in the crowd portion who whipped out his Nalgene bottle and peed in it. I guess that grossed him out as much as it did us, because he then dumped the pee onto the ground in front of us. We left. I had white shoes on, people! No thanks. 
  • People. walking. around. barefoot. I suppose that's not so out of the ordinary, but it had just poured, the ground was a mix of sand and concrete... let's just say I wouldn't have done it. But I saw it!
  • Moms and Dad's enjoying the show more than their kids. I LOVED this, absolutely loved this. You go, hip alternative parents. Don't ever stop being cool. 
  • People in really, really expensive shoes. Maybe this is just me but I seeing people in their fairly pricey kicks absolutely sloshing through standing water made my heart ache a little. But you can't stop life from happening so I'm just glad they still had a good time regardless. Still. Dollar signs. My poor, cheap heart. 
  • 13 dollar domestic beers. 
  • let me repeat that. 
  • 13
  • dollars
  • for a 
  • domestic
  • beer
  • HUH?
But please don't let my list confuse you; I had an absolute blast. Music is the force that drives all humans together. I believe that completely. Saturday was no exception. During Grouplove's set, they said something that I just love between songs.

"Make art with your hands, however you can, and share it with others. And put down your f***king phones."

Happy Monday!






(WOLF GANG SMASHIN IT, JUST LOOK AT THOSE BABES.) 




Post downpour? Yes. Look at those puddles. 


Look at THESE puddles. 


The big finale, Grouplove absolutely chillin' right through their set.

Music Monday: Black River, Wolf Gang